We were very fortunate to have the extremely talented and award winning Lisa Long from More Than Words share her top tips with us at the January Meet Up. Lisa has a phenomenal and inspiring story and had the room fascinated by her story and success. If you need a bit of a helping hand, here are Lisa’s top tips that she lives by. Be inspired!
Here are her top tips:
- Work/Life Balance – Be strict. Lisa told us she shuts her office door when her children get home and doesn’t work again until the following morning.
- USP – Know what your USP is and be true to it. Lisa creates premium, fine art quality products which are professionally framed. She has never compromised on the quality of her products.
- Money – Know your numbers. Charge for your time, always factor this in. You will never be successful if you don’t take something back for yourself.
- Be resourceful – Lisa gave us an example. Lisa always need high quality photography for her products. She had no money so asked the local photography club to do it for her in return for keeping some of the work for their portfolio.
- Be different. Stay fresh. Lisa always creates products that she would like to put up on her own wall.
- Plan, plan, plan well ahead. Lisa plans at least 3 months in advance. Publications plan way ahead too so if you want to target relevant magazines you need to be ahead of the game.
- Trial and Error. Learn what works for your business. If it doesn’t work, don’t keep doing it! Lisa learnt that attending baby shows just did not bring in business.
- Be prepared for ups and downs. Lisa said last year was not as busy as normal. She plans for this by outsourcing to freelancers so keeps her overheads to a minimum.
- Use social media and network. It can be isolating working from home so reach out to the networks around you.